Sunday, July 18, 2010

31 candles

Happy birthday to me,
Happy birthday to me,
Happy birthday dear threebeescakes,
Happy birthday to meeeee!




It was my birthday last week, so I made myself a cake. Tragic? Is not. Shut up! You are! I need this!



ahem.



So, the cake: caramel cheesecake with chocolate cashew brittle. I hadn't made it before and I kind of chucked it together so I'm not sure of some of the quantities, but here's the recipe.

100g or so of Scotch Finger biscuits
75g or so of butter, melted
1 Tbsp or so of cocoa
1 cup or so of caster sugar
1/3 cup or so of water
1 cup or so of salted cashews
300 ml or so of cream
1/4 cup or so of dark brown sugar
1/4 cup of golden syrup
1/2 cup or so of caster sugar, extra
395g tin of condensed milk (I know, I know. Shhh.)
75g or so of butter, extra
250g of cream cheese
1 tsp of gelatine
1 Tbsp or so of water, extra, boiled
1/2 cup or so of chocolate
1/4 cup or so of butter, extra

Smoosh up the biscuits into little crumbs - it's a good way to relieve frustration, not that I ever have any, of course - and mix with the cocoa and melted butter. Press the mixture into a springform tin base with a pestle or the back of a spoon. Set aside.

Boil the sugar and water without stirring until it reaches a pale golden colour, then pour over the salted cashews spread out in a single layer. Set aside.

Whip the cream with the brown sugar. Set aside.

(noticing a pattern?)

Melt together the golden syrup, sugar, condensed milk and butter over a low heat until golden brown. Pour half of the mixture over the crumb base and spread out to the sides; pour the other half into a bowl with the cream cheese. Beat it all together until creamy, then mix in the gelatine dissolved in boiling water.

Fold in the whipped cream and pour it all onto the biscuit and caramel base. Whack it in the fridge to set for a few hours.

Break up the cashew brittle into little-ish pieces. Crush some to a powder in a mortar and pestle and sprinkle over the top of the cake, and chuck the rest on top of that (but, y'know, artful-like). Melt the chocolate and butter and drizzle of the top of it all.

Happy birthday to me!





No comments:

Post a Comment